Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Roller Coaster Capital of America

Sandusky, OH - June 11, 2013

Our first assignment for The Weekender is a day trip north to Sandusky where Cedar Point amusement park stretches on the shore of Lake Erie. It is a park with deep history: first developed in the 1800s and now home to 17 roller coasters that have held various world records in the years since. Today we’re covering the latest addition, a hulking wing style coaster called The Gatekeeper, so named because you have to walk under it to enter the park. You can read our article about it here (page 52 & 53).



     Cedar Point has my personal favorite coaster anywhere, The Raptor, a bright green hanging style ride which is nearly perfect: as fast as I ever want to go but as smooth as loops and corkscrews can be. The last time I was here with my family it was the off-season and there was no line.   This time it’s the heat of summer and the line is two hours long. But I didn’t drive all this way NOT to ride The Raptor.



     There are so many people they have opened every stanchion, and we stand there sweating, shuffling a few paces every ten minutes or so. When we get to the wooden stairs that mark the final approach toward the loading area, a voice sounds over the intercom: “We’re sorry everybody. The Raptor is experiencing technical difficulties and is now closed. We hope to get her running again today, but I can’t tell you when it will be.”
     People fall out of line in clumps, until there are just eight besides us. We look at each other. “Should we go get in the back of a different line? We’re basically in the front of this one.” Then I have a revelation. I pull out my phone and call the number for the press liaison we got from Kathy. “Yes, hi, this is Jacob LeMaster with The Weekender magazine. I’m here at the park and the Raptor ride has just closed. Do you know if it will be operating again soon?” She checks. “Ten minutes or less? Thank you. Really appreciate it.” I look around at the empty maze where the line used to be, and barely manage not to laugh maniacally. 

The Raptor is everything I remembered. Still my favorite.

On the way back to Kathy’s we see a sign advertising the birthplace of Thomas Edison. Who knew? The museum is closed but we look at the outside of it. Sadly, nothing appears above our heads.


No comments:

Post a Comment